Sunday, October 10, 2010

Yesterday at the YMCA,

I almost forgot to do my routine locker room check
it wasn't exactly a most crucial thing,
but something told me to go.

everything seemed normal, until i reached the end of the long maze the Y calls a locker room.
there, walking in circles & looking helpless, was a woman.
she was blind, her walking stick tapping anxiously at everything around her.
watching her silently for a moment, i noticed her make a whimper of scared frustration.
& so i said, just loud enough, "Excuse me, can I help you?"

the look of relief that washed over her face could have made me cry.

"Oh hi," she said quietly, "This is my first time here... I just need someplace to change into my dry clothes."
With a smile she couldn't see, I took her by the elbow and lead her to a nearby bathroom stall.
"Thank you for saving me." she said.
& i went back to work.


i didn't exactly save a life yesterday.
but i was so grateful for listening to the Spirit, and the chance to help someone who needed me.
please, have a good day today.
{smile}

1 comment:

Keith Johnson said...

From a Y CEO, thanks for sharing a sentiment and spirit that so many of our staff embody. Loved it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...